Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Bags of Pooh

I'm going to try and do something different this month . . . post everyday about memories or Christmas things we are doing, yes, I know but this time I think I'll do better! The Christmas post may be past, present or something I want to do in the future. Memories may be mine and might only be a few days,weeks or even years ago (which most memories are)! They might be my memories or they could be some one elses as told to me.
This first memory is one my mother told me long ago, I remembered it as I was playing one of my face book games and one of the collectibles for the Halloween collection was a bag of pooh. It made me chuckle when I saw it as I recalled the story, especially if you knew my mother, she always seemed to take the high road and never wanted to do anything wrong! Any way when she and her siblings were growing up on the farm as Halloween drew closer her and her sisters would start planning whose porch they were going to put lighted bags of pooh on! This was the trick all the kids pulled back then. They would get paper, make them into bags, fill with cow pooh, put them on some one's porch, light them the knock on the door and run and hide. They would be in the bushes or behind a tree as the (usually)man of the house answered the door then proceeded to start stomping on the bags of pooh to put out the flames! Needless to say they had pooh all over them by the time they were done stomping. Oh, want to know the person they most often played the trick on . . . their preacher! My mom, Alice Irene Hughes Welch, her sister Wilma Hughes Lewis and her oldest sister Helen Hughes Coulter.
Thanks for the memory ladies!

No comments: